Open Mic Sessions
14th Annual Open Mic
Sponsored by the Young Physicians Section
What is Open Mic?
Open Mic is a proud tradition within AAEM, where attendees have the unique opportunity they have always wanted to speak at a national meeting. This open-floor format allows 16 "new voices" to be heard and evaluated by education committee members and conference attendees.
Registered Open Mic participants will have an opportunity to present a 25-minute lecture (20 minutes for presentation, 5 minutes for questions) on any topic of their choosing. The top two speakers will be invited to give a formal presentation at the 2017 Scientific Assembly in Orlando, FL.
How to Participate
Ten of the time slots will be filled in advance by email.
The remaining six time slots will be filled on a "first-come, first-served" basis by signing up onsite.
Pre-registration for Open Mic is now closed.
Please note the following in your preparation:
- A PC laptop connected to a projector will be provided in the room. Please bring your presentation on a flash drive to the conference room. If you prefer to use your own device, please bring your own connection cords/adapter. AAEM is not responsible for AV issues. An AV technician is not stationed in this room. You will be asked to load your own presentation and begin speaking.
- No internet is provided in the room. Sound is projected from the laptop, no additional speakers or mixer are provided.
- Please plan to attend the orientation of Open Mic.
- A lavaliere microphone is provided. Please plan your wardrobe to include a pocket or belt to hold the transmitter and a collared shirt or jacket to attach the mic.
- It is recommended that you stay in this session until all speakers have presented. There is not a scheduled break between speakers and sessions may run faster than indicated.
- Please prepare a short biography (30-45 seconds) to introduce yourself and your topic. Suggested items to include are your name, affiliation/degrees, location, passion for this topic, hobbies/interests in free time.
- Please review the other guidelines as noted above.
- Register for the Scientific Assembly. Register today.
Those who presented at the 2015 Open Mic Session are not eligible to sign up.
February 17 & 18
February 18, 8:00am-12:00pm
EMPA Fellowship Challenge Bowl
February 18, 12:45pm
Opening Remarks of the
22nd Annual Scientific Assembly
February 18, 1:45pm-3:45pm
State of the Academy, Town Hall & Candidates' Forum
2016 Board of Directors Elections
February 18, 6:00pm-7:00pm
Opening Reception - Exhibit Hall
Open Mic Sessions - Learn more
February 19, 6:00pm-8:00pm
Career Connections Fair - Learn more